Possible to include a tarball on LFS6.1-3?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 10 10:36:52 PDT 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 12:56:40PM -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Diff I can do, I might be able to do what you asked in the next few days...
>
> ... However, I'm still wrapping my brain around this SVN jazz.
>
> Things I've figured out so far:
>
> 1) livecd/x86/trunk isn't everything needed to actually *make* a LiveCD. Do
> I need to checkout the livecd/x86/branches *first*, then grab the
> livecd/x86/trunk?

Well, it should be. The trunk branch may be broken, especially due to
recent script adjustments, so there is that. Also, trunk is targeted for
LFS trunk, so the kernel requirement would be a bit stringent.

> Please update your host kernel to version 2.6.12.3.
> make: *** [test-host] Error 1

Yes, this is because of Xorg - it likes to be built on a machine with the
same kernel version as the target machine. Read the BLFS page for Xorg.

> So I'm going to have to build something with a newer kernel than what the
> LiveCD has on tap -- will a *newer* kernel work, or should I grab 2.6.12.3?

You need to have a *matching* kernel version. However, if you're building
for a 6.1-3 iso, you're not going to want to use trunk. The 6.1-2 livecd
should work fine as a host, because the 6.1-3 iso will still be using the
same LFS base versions.  You need to grab the 6.1-2 tagged scripts from
svn:

svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/x86/tags/6.1-2 lfs-livecd

> If I could get the build process functioning, I'd be happy to build the
> .iso once everything's finalized...

Thanks. :) However, I like to do that personally as just one more step in
quality assurance. Nothing personal at all.

> Sheesh... first Makefiles, then SVN, now you want me to learn bugzilla
> *too*? Yer a bad influence on me... ;-)
>
> [[ Where would one go to start using said bugzilla? Is it web-based? ]]

Bugzilla isn't very hard. :)
http://bugs.linuxfromscratch.org/