Plans for x86_64 CD

Thomas Pegg thomasp at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 9 13:20:01 PDT 2005

Here are a few thoughts on what I have in mind for x86_64 version of the
LiveCD:

1. Maintain as much functionality as possible as it's x86 counterpart
currently has. (Don't anticipate too many issues with this but you never
know.)

2. Use the build method currently in trunk for now, unless major
problems arise to where using the cross-lfs would be better.

3. Build the toolchain multilib capable. This will involve building
glibc twice both in tools and in chroot. The reason behind this is so
users of the cd can build either a multilib system or go the pure64
route.

4. Since ALFS profiles are included, this is more a tie in to the ALFS
project, but I'll mention it here. I plan to create (with Jamie's help)
two x86_64 profiles based on the current trunk build method (one
multilib and one pure64), and include those on the CD as well.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?
--
Thomas
LFS User : 4729 / Linux User : 298329