unionfs?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 21 05:11:49 PDT 2005

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> This also allows to keep source tarballs on the CD outside the squashed image.
> Thus, the CD will also be usable e.g. from Slackware as just a container for
> LFS sources.

Well I had already achieved that on the pre cds by moving the tarballs
to /sources instead of /usr/src - however, that's a minor point.

I think I like this idea. I had to go read up a little on unionfs
because it wasn't clear to me at first what it was you were talking
about. But it seems really cool. IIUC, unionfs sits 'on top' of the root
tree and filters your access to files. It keeps track of which files you
have modified and which you haven't and substitutes the modified version
of a file stored 'on top' of the original when you request any file.
Therefore, the *entire* tree can be writable (up to the amount of RAM
available, I assume).

Very cool...

Alexander, tell you what... If you could provide a real patch to the
init.c and whatever else needs to change to make the scripts build this,
I'll make a branch in svn and we can test this setup. Let me know what
you can do with regards to that.

Thanks,

--
Jeremy Huntwork