[lfs-support] Brand new and confused. Mostly about the 7.5 book.

Aleksandar Kuktin akuktin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 04:05:35 PDT 2014

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 14:57:22 -0700
>Al Szymanski <aszy at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you all for your rapid responses. In specific, Aleksandar asked:
> > Are these numbers your own estimates, or did you pick them up
> > somewhere? I'm asking because they overestimate.
>
> These numbers came directly from the 7.5 book; 2.2.1.1. through
> 2.2.1.3 : pages 12 and 13.

Aha, OK. I see it now.

Ever since I built my system for the third time, I have been rarely
looking at the book. Especially after 7.0.

The list in 2.2.1.3. and the recomendation in 2.2.1.1. are, in
principle, mutually exclusive. A ~10GB root partition from 2.2.1.1.
includes within itself a 5GB /usr, a 5GB /opt and "a couple of
GB" /tmp. /bin, /lib and friends in / are rarely heavier than
200-300MB and can therefore be ignored in this calculation.

10GB for "system", that is, everything excluding /home, whereever you
keep your sources and possibly the build dir, should be quite enough.

> On a related topic : if I find an error in the 7.5 book, to whom
> should the notice go? In the process of downloading each of the
> required parts, I found that the source site for Bzip2 failed. I used
> the Google code search and found it just fine. I also created a curl
> script to make the downloading mostly a bulk job with the exceptions
> of the files that come from SourceForge - can't curl them. Al

I think lfs-support is good, but lfs-dev may be better. If you don't
mind being on two mail-lists (and your mail program can handle it with
reasonable ease), lfs-dev is better.

--
Svi moji e-mailovi su kriptografski potpisani. Proverite ih.
All of my e-mails are cryptographically signed. Verify them.