[lfs-support] Brand new and confused. Mostly about the 7.5 book.

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sun Mar 30 14:13:40 PDT 2014

Le 30/03/2014 23:05, Al Szymanski a écrit :
> I am just trying to figure out the overall smallest size of hard drive space needed for all of the partitions.
> My sums from the 7.5 book come to 80 Gig plus whatever space I want for /home .
>
> [ suggested partition sizes:
> 	root LFS 10Gig	  /usr/src 30-50Gig	 /opt 5-10Gig	  /usr 5Gig	  /tmp <5Gig	  swap 2xRAM	  /boot 100Meg	 =~81Gig
> ]
>
> The online version of the book says, "A minimal system requires a partition of around 2.8 gigabytes (GB)." in 2.2 .
> I've 30Gig available on the host system, and have a 30 Gig drive that I was planning on using to start my LFS system, but now think that I can not get what's needed on a small drive.
>
> So... how small a drive can I do LFS with?  Thanks and I hope to not be a bother in the future.
> Al

If you just want to build LFS:
100 Mb /boot
10 Gb / (actually 5-6 Gb could be enough) (or you may split this into several
partitions, but the overall size si largely enough)
4 Gb swap (almost never used if you have more than 2 Gb of memory)

So 30 Gb is more than enough.

If you want to build the whole of BLFS:
maybe / (if you use only one partition) should be closer to 20 Gb.