[lfs-support] /run directory: Maybe a bit off topic?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 24 00:13:46 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-23 at 12:07 -0400, baho utot wrote:
> I think there are not many folks that have that on a separate partition.
>
> That's really the only problem with using /var/run.
>
> If I had to count using my fingers how many systems I have worked on
> that have /var mounted on a separate partition I could count them even
> if I had no fingers.

Agreed, but some people apparently *do* use it - the usual examples
given are around having a rootfs that's unsuitable for containing /var,
e.g because it's on read-only media, or it's shared between multiple
machines over an NFS mount. And under those circumstances, /run was
needed because /var/run couldn't be relied on to exist.

Simon.