[lfs-support] /run directory: Maybe a bit off topic?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 08:57:32 PDT 2014

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-03-22 at 09:59 -0400, baho utot wrote:
>> I am working on RPM-LFS-7.5 which is LFS with the rpm package manager.
>>
>> I would like to adhere to Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.3 so my linux
>> systems file system layout matches/closely matches my FreeBSD systems.
>> When was the /run directory introduced and what package(s) required
>> moving run-time data from /var/run to /run?
>>

> Just be aware that the FHS was last updated in January 2004 - a little
> more than a decade ago - and as such is a bit out of date with regard to
> how Linux distros are doing things.
>
> In particular, it's unaware of both the /sys virtual filesystem (added
> around 2006 as I recall), and the introduction of /run (in 2011 or so).
> So while it's a useful guideline, I'd suggest not getting too hung up on
> compliance...

See http://www.linuxbase.org/betaspecs/fhs/ for the FHS-3 beta.  It's
not in really good shape as internally it still says 2004, but I've been
working with the maintainers to update the format a bit.

That document does have /sys and /run.  There is really not a lot of
other significant changes.

Just a guess, but I think FHS-3 will be released this summer.

   -- Bruce