[lfs-support] /run directory: Maybe a bit off topic?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Sun Mar 23 01:36:57 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-03-22 at 09:59 -0400, baho utot wrote:
> I am working on RPM-LFS-7.5 which is LFS with the rpm package manager.
>
> I would like to adhere to Filesystem Hierarchy Standard 2.3 so my linux
> systems file system layout matches/closely matches my FreeBSD systems.
> When was the /run directory introduced and what package(s) required
> moving run-time data from /var/run to /run?

Just be aware that the FHS was last updated in January 2004 - a little
more than a decade ago - and as such is a bit out of date with regard to
how Linux distros are doing things.

In particular, it's unaware of both the /sys virtual filesystem (added
around 2006 as I recall), and the introduction of /run (in 2011 or so).
So while it's a useful guideline, I'd suggest not getting too hung up on
compliance...

Simon.