[lfs-support] Blank screen when booting with 3.13.3 kernel. - LFS 7.5

Merell L. Matlock, Jr. mlmatlock at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 08:19:36 PDT 2014

On 03/12/14 10:54, Armin K. wrote:
> On 03/12/2014 03:46 PM, rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com wrote:
>> I've built LFS 7.5 with the 3.13.3 kernel but receive a blank screen
>> upon booting.  As an experiment, I unselected AGP Support in my kernel
>> configuration and can successfully boot.  My thinking was perhaps
>> there's a problem with AGP support.
>>
>> However, as I'm running LFS/BLFS 7.4, I compiled that 3.10.10 kernel in
>> my LFS 7.5 build and CAN successfully with with AGP support.  I compiled
>> the kernel with the same .config I used when compiling the LFS 7.5
>> 3.13.3 kernel.  I also received a blank screen with the 3.13.5 kernel,
>> so the problem isn't unique to 3.13.3.
>>
>> It appears there's a problem with newer kernels.  However, I certainly
>> can't ignore the possibility of user error, as that's my "talent."  A
>> few questions:
>>
>> Does it make sense it's a kernel version problem?
>>
>> If not, what might I have done wrong?
>>
>> Will there be problems running an older kernel (3.10.10) than the kernel
>> with which I built LFS 7.5 (3.13.3)?
>>
> Have you enabled framebuffer console? CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

Similar problem with me; mine was radeon related.  I had to blacklist
(/etc/blacklist.conf) the radeon module in 7.4 until I had finished
building X and Mesa.  I also spent almost a week before I found out that
I also needed firmware for my card as well.  Once I had all the pieces
in place, I removed the radeon entry from the blacklist, and it boots
fine, with the open-source drivers.  I test-built 7.5 RC-1, leaving
radeon totally out of the kernel config, and it booted fine.   I've been
off on an arc-tangent for awhile, and I'll get back to 7.5 later.

Merell Matlock