[lfs-support] Blank screen when booting with 3.13.3 kernel. - LFS 7.5

rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com rhubarbpieguy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 07:46:04 PDT 2014

I've built LFS 7.5 with the 3.13.3 kernel but receive a blank screen
upon booting.  As an experiment, I unselected AGP Support in my kernel
configuration and can successfully boot.  My thinking was perhaps
there's a problem with AGP support.

However, as I'm running LFS/BLFS 7.4, I compiled that 3.10.10 kernel in
my LFS 7.5 build and CAN successfully with with AGP support.  I compiled
the kernel with the same .config I used when compiling the LFS 7.5
3.13.3 kernel.  I also received a blank screen with the 3.13.5 kernel,
so the problem isn't unique to 3.13.3.

It appears there's a problem with newer kernels.  However, I certainly
can't ignore the possibility of user error, as that's my "talent."  A
few questions:

Does it make sense it's a kernel version problem?

If not, what might I have done wrong?

Will there be problems running an older kernel (3.10.10) than the kernel
with which I built LFS 7.5 (3.13.3)?