[lfs-support] 6.17. GCC-4.8.1 - Linker search paths

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 30 21:26:01 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 04:41:28PM +1300, Craig Magee wrote:
> On 1 October 2013 16:09, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 01, 2013 at 03:27:22PM +1300, Craig Magee wrote:
> > > However, grep 'SEARCH.*/usr/lib' dummy.log |sed 's|; |\n|g' returns only:
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/lib");
> > >
> > > while the book tells me to expect:
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib64")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib64")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/lib64")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib64")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
> > > SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");
> > >
> > > Any advice on where I went wrong would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> >  Does the book tell you to expect that ?  My local copy of 7.4 says
> > that your results are correct.  I think you might have been looking
> > at a different version of the book, or a different page, along the
> > way.  In particular, that grep for '.*/usr/lib' cannot possibly match
> > '/usr/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib'.
> >

> Ah, I didn't think to take the time decoding the regular expression as they
> confuse the heck out of me.  I copypasta'd it.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/gcc.html
> It definitely states the block of text I quoted.
>
> Would the expected output listed for i686 systems also be incorrect?
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/local/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/lib")
> SEARCH_DIR("/usr/lib");

 Ah, I was looking at 6.10 (Adjusting the toolchain), not 6.17.

 Interesting.  In my logs I keep the actual output from dummy.log
and that does have all of those.  But I don't see how that (same)
regexp can possibly return the first two results that we show.

 OTOH, I'm hours past my bedtime, maybe I'm missing something
obvious.  I'll defer to Matt or Bruce if they comment in the next
few hours.  At the moment it looks like such an obvious fubar that I
would expect _someone_ to have noticed it, so I guess I'm probably
out on my own again and leading you astray ;-)

ĸen