[lfs-support] Boot Issues

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Fri Sep 27 20:45:42 PDT 2013

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:04:29 -0400
Casey Daniels <lfs at cd.kcfam.net> wrote:

> linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.10-lfs-7.4 root=/dev/sda2 rootdelay=120 ro

Nothing new. I could have told you from the beginning to use rootdelay. Or use rootwait, which is in current kernels. The reason for this is that the usb system has time to settle down, just like the scsi systems in the day have to settle down. The same thing happens when using firewire devices. I encounter it all of the time when developing CLFS with PPC and PPC64 with firewire.

People who use USB devices need to be using an initramfs where the devices are already loaded and recognized before rootfs is detected and mounted and init is ran. Also, using an initramfs (don't mistake it for initrd which is deprecated) it makes sure that the rootfs is mounted based on UUID or BLKID or however other ID. This has been brought up in all kinds of mailing lists all around the world.

--
William Harrington <kb0iic at berzerkula.org>