[lfs-support] Boot Issues

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers edgaralwers at gmx.de
Thu Sep 26 07:39:29 PDT 2013

On Thursday 26 September 2013 19:51:05 Geoff Swan wrote:

>  I've tried to boot off a USB Thumb Drive, an SD Card, and when
>  its running through the boot proccess it keeps telling me that there is
>  an unknown partition type, and therefore can't mount the root fs.

Read
http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/481167-mounting-root-partition-uuid-no-initrd-needed.html

The article refers to a different issue, but explains  what you are looking
for.
quote
"I strongly suggest that you practice on a USB thumb drive before you
 risk your real partition table !"
unquote

I used it. You do not need a PC with EFI support, however, your kernel must
have " EFI GUID partition table support" compiled in. And you will need GPT (
GUID partition tables ).
Good luck,

Edgar

--