[lfs-support] LFSv7.4 stuck at section 6.9.1

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Tue Sep 24 05:36:00 PDT 2013

Le 24/09/2013 11:25, Kodali Sivakiran a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> [description of the failure]
> In the upper section of config.log we can see that:
> " configure:2725: gcc --version >&5
> ../glibc-2.18/configure: line 2727: /tools/bin/gcc: No such file or
> directory
> configure:2736: $? = 127
> ........... "
>
> not only gcc ,later i've checked with some of the binaries under
> /tools/bin, they say the same thing when i try to use them..."No such
> file or directory"
>
> WHAT MIGHT BE THE REASON??
gcc is a program which mainly runs other executables (cpp for
preprocessing, cc1 for compiling, etc). So even if /tools/bin/gcc is
there, it could be somehow unable to find one ore all of those
executables, which would explain the 'no such file...' diagnostic.
> In an attempt to understand the problem, i did this outside the chroot
> environment:
> " shiva at shiva-desktop:/$ ldd /tools/bin/gcc
>     linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb77dd000)
>     libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xb761b000)
>     /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb77de000)    "
> so, does it mean that my /tools/bin/gcc got linked with the host
> libraries rather than my /tools/lib ???
No it doesn't. When outside the chroot environment, you are using the
host libraries. You have to enter the chroot environment to do that test.

> SUGGEST ME SOMETHING ON THIS, SO, THAT I CAN PROCEED FURTHER...

Try:
Enter the chroot environment again and type:
echo 'main(){}' | gcc -x c -v -

You might get some information on where it fails to find files.

If it works, add -Wl,-verbose before the last dash to the above command.
You'll get information on whrer le linker looks for files.

Another possibility is that you forgot to mount the virtual files. Type:
ls /dev (inside the chroot environment).

regards
Pierre