[lfs-support] ext4

Roger Koehler roger.koehler at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 16:28:12 PDT 2013

On 9/8/13, Markku Pesonen <tourula at gmail.com> wrote:
> Roger Koehler wrote:
>> [ 4946.062759] EXT4-fs (sda5): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature
>> incompatibilities [ 4955.773590] EXT4-fs (sda5): Filesystem with huge
>> files cannot be mounted RDWR without CONFIG_LBDAF
>
> You should select "Support for large (2TB+) block devices and files"
> option found under "Enable the block layer" in your kernel
> configuration. This is only needed for 32-bit kernels.

Ahhhhhh, that makes sense. As I was configuring the kernel for LFS
7.3, I thought: "Why would I need support for large block devices? I
only have a 160GB hard drive." But I like how much faster disk checks
are with ext4, so I used that option in the kernel. I didn't realize
at the time that ext4 is geared primarily for large block devices.
Thanks for the tip. I'll rebuild my kernel.