[lfs-support] Some BLFS Packages Before Making LFS-7.4 Bootable

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 31 16:45:27 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 06:07:03PM -0500, Dan McGhee wrote:
> > I also have my sources in /usr/src and that is a separate partition so I
> > can use it from any build.  I recommend the following as separate
> > partitions: /boot, /home, and /usr/src.  /opt is also a possibility.
> >
> >     -- Bruce
> >
> I have a script that gets me to chroot and it mounts those each time I
> go in.
>
> I forgot about wget, thanks for reminding me.
>
> A separate partition for /usr/src? Never occurred to me, but it's a good
> idea.

 Actually, you can build any package *anywhere*.  For something like
the kernel, keeping the source directories around if I haven't built
that version before ( or if there have been major changes such as
when I was upgrading only from a very old system that needed the old
compatability sysfs options for less ancient kernels) is a good
idea.  If the kernel boots, I can get the config from
/proc/config.gz - it's the ones that don't boot which are the
problem ;)

 My scripts *used* to build (as root) in /usr/src because that was
conventional and traditionally intended for root to build in, and
kernels and anything else built manually as a regular user were in
~/.  Nowadays I use a dedicated partition which doesn't get backed
up, and which has _writable_ directories belonging to me and someone
called lfs, and another directory that root uses in my scripts.  So,
you certainly want space to build things, and it needs to be writable
by whoever does the building, but it doesn't matter where you put it.

 BTW, I mention "not backed up" because '/' '/boot' and '/home' get
backed up regularly by fcron invoking an rsync-over-nfs script.
That uses a *lot* of space on the server (typically 2.5 times the
size of the data : the copy is then rsynced to a retention area
using hardlinks for GDG-style backups) and my server disks aren't
huge - main system now on a 1TB disk including the area the backups
are first written to, and a pair of 1TB RAID-1 disks for inter-alia
the backups themselves and also a lot of photos and media.

 There are probably an infinite number of sensible partitioning
strategies, but knowing how you will recover if things go wrong
(e.g. a dieing disk) should be a consideration.

ĸen