[lfs-support] EFI, UEFI and LFS--Complicated, Confusing or Can of Worms

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Wed Oct 30 09:47:19 PDT 2013

On 10/30/2013 11:26 AM, Casey Daniels wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 12:17 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>> Anyway, I just wanted to share what I have discovered.  This may lead to
>> posts like, "I did this and it didn't work.  The book needs to be
>> changed."  The implementation of LFS, configuring and installing both
>> the kernel and GRUB can be successful regardless of how the BIOS boots.
>> There is a learning curve though. And some of GRUB's building and
>> installing arguments need to be a little different.
>>
>> Dan
>>
> I played with UEFI Boot for almost a week and couldn't get anywhere with
> it.  I could get Grub Loaded, and and I could get grub to find the
> Kernel, but then it would ALWAYS fail at some memory point during the
> Kernel load, and I played and played with the kernel for that week and
> it keep freezing at the same point.
>
> The thing with UEFI Boot is you don't need Grub to boot if you don't
> want to.  If you have a Linux only or Windows only, computer you can
> actually boot with out user input without a bootloader.  From my
> understanding though if you have a dualboot system you need at a minimum
> a boot manager to boot without user intervention.  If you don't mind
> typing a few commands you can boot with out a boot manager or bootloader
> in a dual boot system, you just have to understand the UEFI Shell you get.
>
> Casey
Casey, your experience confirms what I have learned by reading and my
own experience. Yes, on dual boot you need a manager to get to the
loader you want. That's one of the functions of the EFI partition. I
don't want to address your specific situation until I have practical
experience with my LFS build and that won't be for a couple of more days.

If you have not been successful in booting your LFS system and you want
to "play," I recommend turning off secure boot, checking your kernel
configuration to support efi and running <grub-install --help> to select
the arguments you use for grub. I just finished reading "grub-install"
and it looks like it should detect your partition type--MBR or GPT. I
don't want to suggest anything definite because I haven't "proved" them
with my own experience. One of the possible outcomes is that your
computer won't boot. I would rather be the victim of my own eperiments
rather than having someone else be that victim. :)

Dan