[lfs-support] EFI, UEFI and LFS--Complicated, Confusing or Can of Worms

Wed Oct 30 09:26:39 PDT 2013

On 10/30/2013 12:17 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> Anyway, I just wanted to share what I have discovered.  This may lead to
> posts like, "I did this and it didn't work.  The book needs to be
> changed."  The implementation of LFS, configuring and installing both
> the kernel and GRUB can be successful regardless of how the BIOS boots.
> There is a learning curve though. And some of GRUB's building and
> installing arguments need to be a little different.
>
> Dan

I played with UEFI Boot for almost a week and couldn't get anywhere with
it.  I could get Grub Loaded, and and I could get grub to find the
Kernel, but then it would ALWAYS fail at some memory point during the
Kernel load, and I played and played with the kernel for that week and
it keep freezing at the same point.

The thing with UEFI Boot is you don't need Grub to boot if you don't
want to.  If you have a Linux only or Windows only, computer you can
actually boot with out user input without a bootloader.  From my
understanding though if you have a dualboot system you need at a minimum
a boot manager to boot without user intervention.  If you don't mind
typing a few commands you can boot with out a boot manager or bootloader
in a dual boot system, you just have to understand the UEFI Shell you get.

Casey