[lfs-support] glibc test failures. Acceptable?

Richard r_j_humphreys at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 09:02:02 PDT 2013

On Mon, 28/10/13, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have inferred from the book that 'cputimer1' and 'run-conformtest'
> > might be 'acceptable' failures, but I was surprised that the test
> > suite ended mid-way.
>
> It didn't.  It finished running.

Aha! I see. So I just misinterpreted the messages. OK, my stupid mistake.

> > I am also assuming that glibc is one of the packages that can safely
> > be installed to a fake root - then tarballed 'slackware style'? (i.e:
> > I am intending that my next step would be make DESTDIR=dest install),
> > rather then installing directly.
>
> glibc is the 'Rosetta stone' of the system.   There is rarely a
> requirement to update it.  If you do need to update it, it's time to
> rebuild the whole system.
>
> I went from 2005 to 2012 on one system before I needed to update.

OK. I had not realised that. I stupidly assumed that I might need to handle glibc
in a similar manner to other packages. I should probably have inferred that from 6.3.1,
evidently I did not understand things as well as I thought.

Again, many thanks, R.