[lfs-support] umount: mountpoint not found

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 24 16:21:02 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 05:59:52PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >   I first noticed this on my desktop which is running LFS-svn with
> > make-4.0, and where I've got more than enough other things still to
> > look at.  But on my server running 7.4 I've just done:
> >
> > mount /scratch
> > [ /me does something there ]
> > umount /scratch
> >
> >   which returns -
> > umount: /scratch: mountpoint not found
> >
> > and /scratch is still mounted.  Any ideas about what is going on,
> > please ?
>
> No, but you can always 'umount /dev/sd??'
>
>    -- Bruce

 Well, root can, so thanks for that (all too often, I'm too close to
the problem and can't see the wood for the trees). - /scratch is
where I use the spare space from modern disks : it doesn't get
backed up [ what a waste of space that would be! ] and either ken or
lfs can use it - or indeed /root when updating the system.

 One day, I suppose I'll find out what else needs to be changed so
that users can umount it again.  Meanwhile, only about another 30
packages to test (mostly DESTDIR) on *this* build with make-4.0.
I'd better get back to preparing my scripts for the *next* build -
all the remaining rubbish^Wthings I don't normally build. ;-)

 Thanks.

ĸen