[lfs-support] Glibc-2.18 Test Suite Failed

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Wed Oct 23 16:24:26 PDT 2013

In fact, I don't think it conducted any tests.

The commands I use in the glibc-build directory come right out of the book

make -k check 2>&1 | tee glibc-check-log
grep Error glibc-check-log

I do call them from a function defined in a build.conf file called
check_commands, but that shouldn't make any difference--I think.

Now that I think about it, the test suite didn't run for very long.
Maybe 1/2-3/4 hr.  I was doing something else.  I was really surprised
when I found the file I make from grepping glibc-check-log empty.  Yup,
no info. And the glibc-check-log looked like everything had happened
normally with make[1-4] leaving directories until I was in the directory
containing the source and build directories.

I checked the error log I generate during the build and the following
line appeared twelve times:

make[2]: Circular /usr/src/glibc-2.18/glibc-build/linkobj/libc.so <-
/usr/src/glibc-2.18/glibc-build/linkobj/libc.so dependency dropped.

Hopefully putting 2+2 together I googled on this and found:

commit 5f855e3598a576c35e54623a13b256f3e87fcd4d
Author: Brooks Moses <bmoses at google.com>
Date:   Thu Oct 3 10:38:14 2013 -0700

     Fix erroneous (and circular) implied pattern rule for linkobj/libc.so.

     [BZ #15915] As described in the bug, the pattern rule for lib%.so
files
     in Makerules includes linkobj/libc.so as a dependency.  However, the
     explicit rule for linkobj/libc.so is in the top-level Makefile.

     Thus, the subdirectory makefiles that include Makerules end up with an
     erroneous makefile pattern rule for linkobj/libc.so that includes
     itself as a dependency.  The result is make warnings whenever rules
     for other .so files are resolved -- and, on occasion, actual makefile
     failures when a race condition causes the implicit rule to actually be
     used.

     This patch moves the explicit rules for linkobj/libc.so into Makerules
     to clear up this problem.  It also elaborates a couple of comments
     that I'd initially found confusing.

at upstream-tracker.org/changelogs/glibc/current/changelog.html

I don't know how to get this patch, nor do I even know if this is what
caused the failure.  Couldn't find anything "on point" in the support or
dev archives.

Any thoughts?  How to get the patch? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,
Dan