[lfs-support] udev problem

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 14:13:04 PDT 2013

Casey Daniels wrote:

> On 10/20/2013 11:25 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>
>> Are these lines split for email or are they that way in the file?  I
>> think you need to escape some newlines. For example,
>>
>> # net device e1000e
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", \
>> ATTR{address}=="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", \
>> ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
>>
>> You can also try:
>>
>> udevadm test --action=ADD /sys/class/net/<device>
>>
>>      -- Bruce
>>

> Found out something interesting.  As long as I don't try to assign
> anything except the onboard NIC to eth0, it will let me do as I please.
> I can even name the onboard NIC to something other than eth0, but
> anytime I try to name something eth0 (besides the onboard nic) udev just
> does what ever it wants to do.

Just a thought.  I believe a system sets up to preset values and then
renames what's required when it processes the rule.  If something is
already named to the value requested, then the rename fails.

What are the values in /sys/class/net/ with no rules?  Then what if you
just try to change one of the problem interfaces to say, eth1, does that
work?

One thing to try is to skip the udev sections in the boot sequence
completely and then run udevd with --debug after boot.  Another thing to
try is setting udev.log-priority=debug on the kernel command line.

   -- Bruce