[lfs-support] No Pattern Matching Using $foo in Chroot Environment

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:38:10 PDT 2013

Dan McGhee wrote:

> Hopefully, I can be a little more secific about this now after reading
> for while.
>
> First, it appears that in the chroot environment and use of
> $foo{*,.tar.[b,g,x,z][b,g,x,z][b,g,x,z]} in a command does not expand
> the file name in the way I understand the use of "*" and [].

Ex. <ls /sources/$foo*> returns the no such file error, and
<ls /sources | grep $foo> returns nothing. ($foo=man-pages-3.5.3)

Does $foo exist in the chroot environment?

On my system it's man-pages-3.54 so

# foo=man-pages-3.54
# ls /sources/$foo*
/sources/man-pages-3.54.tar.xz

works fine.  Note that if you did specify '$foo=man-pages-3.5.3' then 1)
the syntax is wrong, and 2) the man pages file name is formatted with an
extra dot which will result in 'No such file or directory'.

   -- Bruce