[lfs-support] Getting <su> in Chapter 5

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 7 17:19:00 PDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 11:59:00PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  The usual way to look at what gets installed is to run 'make
> DESTDIR=/path/to/somewhere install [ optional args ]' - once you get
> into DESTDIR installs for looking at what is installed you will find
> some packages use other variables (often INSTALLROOT or something
> like that) - if shadow is such a package,then running *as a user*
> will fail.  So try it as a user, to a directory which that user can
> write to.

 OK, so you can't try a DESTDIR install as a normal user because you
are root and 'su' doesn't exist.  Build outside the new system as
user lfs and do a DESTDIR, e.g. to /home/lfs/somewhere or
/tmp/somewhere.  The same for su from old coreutils (my notes show
that I had to build all of coreutils to get su linked - there might
be a shorter series of commands - but NOT which old version of
coreutils last contained 'su'.

ĸen