[lfs-support] More control and package management using package users

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Oct 5 14:09:43 PDT 2013

On 10/04/2013 01:57 PM, Rob Taylor wrote:
> I have updated the wrapper scripts to handle some new chmod
> functionality. It now supports OCTAL-MODEs that are longer than 4
> digits or have preceding @ signs.
> See:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2012-03/txtWUJXdGwYNs.txt
> Where it says: " chmod, mkdir, install now accept new style of octal
> mode specification. When octal mode is preceeded by @ or is 5+ digits
> long with leading zeros, it can clear the set user id and set group id
> bits on directories."
>
> Get the latest "more_control_helpers.tar.xz" file from
> https://www.javacrypt.com/lfs/
>
> Thanks,
> Robert Taylor
>

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Rob Taylor <rtaylor777 at gmail.com
> <mailto:rtaylor777 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the link Hans.
>

>     On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM, hans kaper <spakyelj at xs4all.nl
>     <mailto:spakyelj at xs4all.nl>> wrote:
>
>         Op Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:05:01 +0200 schreef Rob Taylor
>         <rtaylor777 at gmail.com <mailto:rtaylor777 at gmail.com>>:
>

>             I have been working through LFS 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 testing
>             and revising scripts for this package management system.
>
>             I have added a number of scripts and in some cases almost
>             entirely rewritten the existing scripts. While I have
>             tested these scripts no one else has so, my version of
>             this package should be considered Alpha or Beta at best.
>
>             You can play with the revised project and see my notes here:
>             https://www.javacrypt.com/lfs/
>

>         Another interesting piece of work on this subject you can find
>         at https://github.com/ericherman/package-users.
>         There was also a discussion on this subject on this support
>         site about two years ago, initiated by Drew Ames.

Robert--
Great job on this hint!  I've used it since .the first time I ever built
LFS.  After a hiatus, I'm gearing up to do another build and saw this
e-mail.

I read your "new" hint, comparing it to the old one, and reviewed your
scripts, build and build.conf. They are really, really elegant.  I'm
impressed.

I have some questions and comments.

1.  My first comment is constructive criticism.  You have not taken
credit for your work, either in becoming the maintainer nor in the
improvements you've made.  I urge you to identify yourself as maintainer
at the beginng of the hint and take credit for your improvements in the
Change Log.

2.  Is it a personal preference to us AUFS? Or is there a technical
motivation?

3.  Is there something other than making a "pretty prompt" in the
terminal that you added INPUTRC to a user's environment?

4.  The last sentence of Section 5.10 "ldconfig.c" says, "Because it
doesn't evaluate any user input and doesn't pass any user-provided data
to ldconfig, it can safely be made setuid root. I'm assuming that the
first "it" refers to ldconfig.c and the second "it" refers to ldconfig.
Is that corrrect? If it is, I recommend changing the end of that
sentence to read, "...ldconfig, which can, then, safely be made setuid
root."

5. Do you install 'shadow' as the first package after chroot so that you
could get "su?" If so, since the hint tells you to copy 'su' to
/tools/bin in Ch. 5, I'm wondering what advantage there is, especially
since it causes some "hiccups" down the road.  But, then, that may
merely be an approach different to mine.

6. And that's a good segue to this comment. You designed your build
script to continue through to completion regardless of errors--at least
that's what I think I got from reading your build notes. I've found that
unless I make a dumb mistake--copy and paste takes care of most of those
:)--the only interrupts I had were about the lack of install_dirs or
permissions like '-o root'  I've written a build script which is not
nearly as elegant as yours, but recovers from failed "make" and "make
install." That way, I can fix problems as they occur.  When the build
completes, then, I'm done and don't have to do anything extra with
errors.  Mine also "pauses" after running a test suite so that you can
examine the results in a text window before proceeding. [interruption]
Think I'll add that pause after 'configure' and 'make' so I can review
*.err logs.[/interruption]

If you don't mind, I'm going to plagiarize some of your ideas to "spruce
up" my script.  I will send youthe script as it exists now, while I'm
plagiarizing :) , if you'd like to review it.

Lastly, Hans talked about a discussion on this list a few years ago.  I
was part of that along with Drew.  We were exchanging many, many ideas.
One of those was "version management" for upgrades.  If he's still
around, I hope he jumps in here.

I hope you have not reacted negatively to anything I've said here.  You
have done a great job.  Thanks.

Dan