[lfs-support] "Interesting" Names

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 25 18:06:30 PST 2013

With all the interest in helping Alan to get his ethernet card working,
one of the things that caught my attention was the name that appeared
for him in "/sys/class/net."  I googled "enp3s0" and saw many, many
threads in different lists and fora about exactly the same situation.
People couldn't get their "eth0" working and were surprised to find out
that it wasn't "eth0" any more but something else.

There were many allusions to the "new naming convention."  enpxx for
ethernet and wlpxx for wireless.  Where does this name convention
exist?  I remember that xlnglp posted about what he had discovered in
the "different" names, but I can't find what he wrote.  I don't remember
if he had identified a source.

I'd like to be prepared for future efforts so that I don't bark up
incorrect trees.

Here's the mystery for me:  Alan and I have the same NIC.  We probably
have different boxes, but I don't think that's relevant. He built
LFS-7.4 just like I did.  Kernel 3.10.10 + identical NIC = same kernel
configuration.  However, his NIC is named "enp3s0" in /sys/class/net and
mine is named "eth0" in /sys/class/net.  Why the difference?  Where did
the difference originate?  What is its source?

More googling.  But first--UEFI.

Dan