[lfs-support] LFS 7.4 / 5.5 GCC Pass 1 Question

Kenan Regez kregez at outlook.com
Mon Nov 25 13:38:12 PST 2013

On 25.11.2013 06:14, Chris Staub wrote:
> On 11/24/2013 04:01 PM, Kenan Regez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It is my first try to build LFS im really excited about the project but
>> i have got a question about the step GCC 4.8.1.
>>
>> I run into the same error many times when i run "make". I followed every
>> step in the book, i untared the gmp, mpfr and mpc into my gcc-4.8.1 dir,
>> as written in the book i renamed the folders.
>>
>> Now after spending some hours to find the problem i did this another way
>> which worked but im unsure if it legit to use the way i did.
>>
>> I got allways this error:
>>
>> |checkingfor  MPFR...  no
>> configure:  error:  libmpfr not found or uses a different ABI.
>> make[1]:  ***  [configure-mpc]  Error  1|
> This usually means that mpfr was not unpacked where it should be. Please
> paste, directly from your command history, all the exact commands you
> typed which lead to this error, starting with unpacking the GCC tarball.
Thank you for your reply,

Ok this is what i did in /mnt/lfs/sources:

(before, i did follow the steps to configure binutils-2.23.2: that
worked, i did not see any error)

1.     tar -xvf gcc-4.8.1.tar.bz2
2.     cd gcc-4.8.1
3.     tar -Jxf ../mpfr-3.1.2.tar.xz
4.     mv -v mpfr-3.1.2 mpfr
5.     tar -Jxf ../gmp-5.1.2.tar.xz
6.     mv -v gmp-5.1.2 gmp
7.     tar -zxf ../mpc-1.0.1.tar.gz
8.     mv -v mpc-1.0.1 mpc
9.    -> executed the script below

for file in \
$(find gcc/config -name linux64.h -o -name linux.h -o -name sysv4.h)
do
cp -uv $file{,.orig}
sed -e 's@/lib\(64\)\?\(32\)\?/ld@/tools&@g' \
-e 's@/usr@/tools at g' $file.orig > $file
echo '
#undef STANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX_1
#undef STANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX_2
#define STANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX_1 "/tools/lib/"
#define STANDARD_STARTFILE_PREFIX_2 ""' >> $file
touch $file.orig
done

I did copy that from the book.

9.1    sed -i '/k prot/agcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp=yes' gcc/configure

10.    mkdir -v ../gccbuild
11.    cd ../gccbuild
12.    did type the command char by char from the book and double checked :)

../gcc-4.8.1/configure
--target=$LFS_TGT
--prefix=/tools
--with-sysroot=$LFS
--with-newlib
--without-headers
--with-local-prefix=/tools
--with-native-system-header-dir=/tools/include
--disable-nls
--disable-shared
--disable-multilib
--disable-decimal-float
--disable-threads
--disable-libatomic
--disable-libgomp
--disable-libitm
--disable-libmudflap
--disable-libquadmath
--disable-libsanitizer
--disable-libssp
--disable-libstdc++-v3
--enable-languages=c,c++
--with-mpfr-include=$(pwd)/../gcc-4.8.1/mpfr/src
--with-mpfr-lib=$(pwd)/mpfr/src/.libs

13.   make

and then i got error mentioned before.

Do i need to configure && make && make install gmp, mpfr and mpc before
in my /mnt/sources/tools directorie?

I also thought about using some more statements to configure gcc,
something like "--with-gmp-include=../gcc-4.8.1/gmp/..." or with
"--with-mpc-lib=../gcc-4.8.1/mpc..." but there is no include dir, nor
the lib dir...

Where is my mistake?

Thank you for anything you can help me with.

Kenan