[lfs-support] Ethernet Card Not Found

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 25 13:25:03 PST 2013


On 11/25/2013 12:46 PM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 25-11-2013 15:22, Dan McGhee escreveu:
>> On 11/25/2013 11:05 AM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>>> Em 25-11-2013 13:27, Dan McGhee escreveu:
>
>>> It can find the interface.
>>>
>>> Replying to Ken, Alan wrote:
>>>
>>> Em 24-11-2013 14:04, Alan Feuerbacher escreveu:
>>>> On 11/24/2013 10:48 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>>>>>>     I think Alan needs the r8169, this is what I use :
>>>>>>
>>>>>> CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_REALTEK=y
>>>>>>     and
>>>>>> CONFIG_R8169=m (actually 'y' would be better, i.e. faster to come
>>>>>> up)
>>>> Ok, I set that and recompiled the kernel. No luck; the eth0 interface
>>>> will not come up.
>>>>
>>>> Alan
>>> Then more recently he sent a post to which I replied, in which the
>>> interface was there:
>>>
>>> Em 25-11-2013 11:59, Alan Feuerbacher escreveu:
>>>> On 11/24/2013 2:33 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
>>>>> Le 24/11/2013 19:24, David Kredba a écrit :
>>>>>>> Per Ken's suggestion, I added the ethernet driver for my Realtek
>>>>>>> ethernet device, recompiled the kernel, reinstalled systemd/udev from
>>>>>>> scratch. Still no luck.
>
>
>> Fernando, I'm responding to this only because I want to make sure that
>> I'm not "getting across the breakers" with any of you experienced people
>> on this list.
> No problem at all. Just I might have been wrong, but after Alan told he
> had built the R8169 driver, after ĸen suggested, and Bruce suggested him
> to do it, and other listings from LFS and Fedora that Alan provided, I
> thought the driver should now be there, loaded.
I don't think you are wrong, and what you used in this post is precisely 
what I considered confusing for the rest of the discussion.  I know that 
many times, when I get focused on solving a problem, I miss the basics.  
I hope he either gets his card to come up or posts the results of 'dmesg 
| grep Ethernet' to determine whether the driver was loaded.  That 
particular driver needs mii, and CRC32--I think that's the one--to run 
and his info didn't include whether or not those two things were configured.
>
>> I'm coming back to LFS after a number of years and so my detailed
>> knowledge of how things work has many, many "rust spots."
> I hesitated, could not remember anymore if you had written to have been
> away for some years or if Alan had written it. I wanted to write that
> these weird names might be new and confusing to some who have been away,
> and surprised most people here, including myself, when first appeared.
> ISTR it was xinglp who first noticed them.
>
> Sorry if it sounded differently.
Your response was fine.  In fact, you sorted through all the responses 
and gave a great summary.  I hope that you and anyone else who frequents 
this list will excuse and help me polish any rust spots that I show.  
Because if it's not the driver for his card, I'll drop out of the help 
race.  When it comes to networking I forget things faster than I learn 
them.  :)  And that's hard to do.

I saw what xinglp posted and am on guard for it.  Thankfully I haven't 
run into anything yet.  But thanks for the reminder.

Dan




More information about the lfs-support mailing list