[lfs-support] Ethernet Card Not Found

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Mon Nov 25 10:22:11 PST 2013

On 11/25/2013 11:05 AM, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 25-11-2013 13:27, Dan McGhee escreveu:
>> Please excuse the "top post."  I've done it for a reason.
>>
>> Alan, you have gotten a number of great suggestions from some really
>> helpful people.  I think, however, that the waters are very muddy right
>> now.  The main problem is that your system can't find your ethernet
>> card--eth0.  That's the first goal.  After your system sees and
>> acknowledges it's existence, then troubleshoot connecting if any
>> problems persist.
> It can find the interface.
>
> Replying to Ken, Alan wrote:

>> Ok, I set that and recompiled the kernel. No luck; the eth0 interface
>> will not come up.
>>
>> Alan
> Then more recently he sent a post to which I replied, in which the
> interface was there:
>
> Em 25-11-2013 11:59, Alan Feuerbacher escreveu:

> This because the name is different, which you find in the same post:
>
>>> Before that and if you are still on LFS:
>>> ip link list
>> #######
>
>> 2: p4p1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
>> state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
>>       link/ether 30:85:a9:8f:31:09 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>> #######
> Interface name is p4p1. Only problem is probably he was not aware that
> crazy name are given to interfaces, now. William suggested how he could
> fix that. I just use what I get.
>
> This is also what says William, Bruce and myself, in other posts.
>
> Then other parts of the post confirm that. Finally, I suggested to use:
>
>> I think that if you s/etho0/p4p1/ in the /etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.etho
>> filename and in the file itself, so you would have:
>>

>> cat /etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.p4p1
>>
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> IFACE=p4p1
>> SERVICE=ipv4-static
>> IP=10.0.1.31
>> GATEWAY=10.0.1.1
>> PREFIX=24
>> BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
> William suggested:
>
>> Your link name is p4p1.
>>
>> You can always look in /sys/class/net, too and see what is there for
>> your system to use.
>>
>> If you want eth0, then follow this thread:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/msg18294.html
>>
>> It'll help you get back to eth0. Otherwise, use whatever name the
>> kernel gives the device.
> and Bruce:
>
>> You should have a file /etc/sysconfig/ifconfig.eth0
>>
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> IFACE=p4p1
>> SERVICE=ipv4-static
>> IP=10.0.1.2   # Change to 10.0.1.x to not conflict with other systems
>> GATEWAY=10.0.1.1
>> PREFIX=24
>> BROADCAST=10.0.1.255
> which is similar to mine, only he suggests
>
>> IP=10.0.1.2   # Change to 10.0.1.x to not conflict with other systems
> and I suggest:
>
>> IP=10.0.1.31
> [...]
Fernando, I'm responding to this only because I want to make sure that
I'm not "getting across the breakers" with any of you experienced people
on this list.  The advice and suggestions everyone has made are good and
to the point.  However, to date, I have seen nothing to indicate that
the driver for his card is actually loaded.  If it is, then, yes, the
troubleshooting needs to go in the direction you suggested.

I'm coming back to LFS after a number of years and so my detailed
knowledge of how things work has many, many "rust spots."  AFIK, the
network bootscript responds to what the configuration file is named;
i.e., ifconfig.xxxx, and reports something like "Starting the xxxx
interface."  That doesn't mean the driver is loaded.  If someone has
named their ethernet card "foo0" in udev then that device is mentioned
in the configuration file. And the interface comes up without a hitch.
Now maybe this analysis is faulty.  If it is, then I hope someone will
point that out.

All I am saying is that, except for using the Package Users Hint, I
built LFS-7.4 exactly how the book says.  I have the same ethernet card
as Alan.  That's why I advised him to do what the book said, regardless
of how things looked in Fedora.  My host system is Ubuntu and I can get
quite confused going back and forth between it and LFS.

Dan