[lfs-support] Ethernet Card Not Found

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 24 09:24:01 PST 2013

On 11/24/2013 10:33 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>> On 11/24/2013 12:19 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

Per Ken's suggestion, I added the ethernet driver for my Realtek
ethernet device, recompiled the kernel, reinstalled systemd/udev from
scratch. Still no luck.

When linux starts, I see a message:
"Bringing up the eth0 interface... skipped"

When I try to bring up the network with ifup I get this:

ifup eth0
#######
     Bringing up the eth0 interface...
     Adding IPv4 address 10.0.1.1 to the eth0 interface...Cannot find
device "eth0"
*****

*****face eth0 doesn't exist.
#######

>> Ok, then I must have missed something when building the system. What do
>> I look for in the LFS book to build the right ethernet driver?
>
> Bring up a working system and run lsmod.

I get this:

lsmod
######
Module			Size	Used by
x86_pkg_temp_thermal	4511	0
######

I know that something is very wrong, but where do I go from here?

 > We have no way to tell what
> hardware you have, but we do refer to several references on configuring
> a kernel in Section 8.3.

I read them, thank you.

> You can also just build all ethernet drivers as modules.  You may get
> some interface like enp2s0.  See
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
>
> The objective of udev-lfs-208-1/init-net-rules.sh in Section 6.62 is to
> create a udev rule to rename this back to eth0.

After reinstalling systemd/udev I still don't get this file.

Alan