[lfs-support] Error: invalid file name When Booting For the FirstTime

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 21:07:59 PST 2013

Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> Well I finally found the problem why linux would not boot: for some
> reason grub is assigning (hd0) to /dev/sdb.

I suspect that's because you installed GRUB on /dev/sdb.  IIRC, you did
grub-install /dev/sdb, so I'd think that GRUB would assign that as hd0.

Remember that the only thing grub-install does is write the first track
of the destination drive.  I'm not sure how you booted, but you must
have told the bios to boot from the 2nd drive.  I don't think GRUB has
any way to tell what drive it boots from relative to the rest of the
system, so it assumes that the drive with the boot track is hd0.

   -- Bruce