[lfs-support] Error: invalid file name When Booting For the First Time

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 23 18:23:42 PST 2013

On 11/23/2013 3:21 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> On 11/23/2013 01:32 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>>> So for whatever reason, grub is not recognizing the disks. Having tried
>>> the same thing with the two other disks, /dev/sda and /dev/sdc, which
>>> grub lists above as (hd0) and (hd2), I'm at a loss. All three of these
>>> disks are in operation, since when I fire up Fedora19 on /dev/sda, I can
>>> write to and read from all of the disks.
>>>
> By chance, Alan, are you trying to do this with GRUB2 installed on your
> EFI partition after compiling it in EFI mode?

No, that was last week. This week I've installed LFS to a fresh hard
disk using the standard MBR/BIOS method. I've still got a lot of digging
to do to get to the bottom of my EFI problems.

> I can't find the
> beginning of this thread, but your results sound suspiciously close, or
> exactly the same as, the results I got during my recent testing.

Assuming you've read my post from a few minutes ago about solving the
problem, I think that the problems are different. Grub is doing
something unexpected by swapping the expected drive numbers (/dev/sdb
gets assigned to (hd0) ). From what I've read in various online forums,
grub sometimes does oddball stuff. For instance, a page at rodsbooks.com
on installing UEFI boot stuff lists grub as number 4 in Rod Smith's
ranking of reliability in boot loaders. I, of course, have no opinion.

> One of
> the conclusions that I have drawn is that GRUB2 in it's current state
> will not boot a kernel compiled and installed via LFS.  Fedora,
> OpenSuse, Ubuntu and one other, seriously hack grub for their own purposes.

That does not surprise me. Somewhere I recently read that Fedora and
Ubuntu have paid some "Key" outfit money to get the appropriate security
key to get UEFI to work properly. I barely understand this.

> The only way I have found to use my UEFI firmware outside of a distro is
> to use the efi stubs of the kernel.

That's what I was trying to do, alright. I followed the advice on Rod
Smith's website on using the stub bootloader along with Smith's rEFInd
boot manager. The rEFInd stuff was working until last Saturday (except
that linux would not boot; probably a linux problem), when for God knows
what reason the UEFI BIOS on my ASUS board began refusing to recognize
rEFInd. Until then I could tell the BIOS to start up a UEFI shell
(shellx86.efi) but after that point it tells me "Not Found". I've been
in contact with an ASUS tech all this past week, but am getting the
usual you're-a-dummy runaround. Let's see how this plays out next week.

> If this is what you're trying to
> do, please respond to the list and I will post a "quick and dirty"
> howto.  I'm in the process of writing a more complete version for the
> list, but it's not ready to post.

I'd be very interested in what you come up with. Perhaps I can add my
experience, once I succeed. :-)

Alan