[lfs-support] Error: invalid file name When Booting For the First Time

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Nov 23 14:05:50 PST 2013

On 11/23/2013 03:44 PM, Baho Utot wrote:
> On 11/23/2013 03:21 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>    One of
> the conclusions that I have drawn is that GRUB2 in it's current state
> will not boot a kernel compiled and installed via LFS.
>

> Nonsense grub2 will boot kernels compiled and install from LFS. I do it
> all the time.
> Although I am not using UEFI.
> I have ONE boot partition and I have Fedora 19, FreeBSD 9.2, LFS built
> by the book and LFS built with rpm package manager.
> I also have LFS-7.2 that boots from usb drive used to correct "oh sh*t"
> problems
Let me re-write that sentence so that it does not depend on the
inference of the first sentence of the paragraph in which it was
originally written. To stand alone that sentence should read:

One of the conclusions that I have drawn is that GRUB2 in its current
state will not boot a kernel compiled and installed via LFS when trying
to boot from the EFI partition.

That last phrase is the key. Even if someone has UEFI firmware, GRUB2
can be installed and utilized in BIOS mode. The statement refers only to
the case in which GRUB2 is compiled using "--with-platform=efi
--target=x86_64" and installed on the EFI partition.

Dan