[lfs-support] LFS 7.3 Screen Flickering problem

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 22 13:03:11 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 02:54:34PM -0600, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> Ken,
>
> The screen turns on and off repeatedly... I can see some text when it is
> on. That is how I can tell it booted successfully because I can see the
> login prompt for a split second. I also have logs in /var/log.

 Good.  I've never come across one like that, but from what you say
below I guess that more than one framebuffer driver is becoming
active and they are fighting.

> Looking at the Kernel Options that you suggested (I keep a backup of my
> .config on a USB drive), I do believe that I enabled the frame buffer
> drivers... I will disable those when I get to the machine tonight.
>
> And yes, I mean the penguin (it is technically a waste of screen space, but
> I think it looks cool)
>
> Douglas Reno

 I don't agree it's a waste of space because it only lasts for a
little while and then everything scrolls up over it.  Perhaps a
waste of kernel memory, but amusing - how else would be have seen
the Linux for Workgroups penguin in 3.11 ;-)

ĸen