[lfs-support] LFS 7.3 Screen Flickering problem

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Nov 22 08:16:40 PST 2013

On 11/22/2013 10:01 AM, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

> I will try it tonight when I have a chance. Is there anything specific
> I should be looking for?

"I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it."  :)

Sorry, I couldn't resist it.

Dmesg output is quite verbose.  I use 'dmesg | less'  You'll have to
wade through all the kernel, memory and bus stuff.  Just scan for
anything having to do with graphics: framebuffer, fb(0), trying to load
firmware, dri, etc., etc., etc.  You'll also recognize the names of your
graphics drivers.  I don't remember whether or not there are any
references to "VESA" or "VGA," but there are instances of resolution.

Going through dmesg can be tedious.  However, if you're meticulous about
it and bear with it, you will probably find something to put you on the
right track. I many times get enough information only to ask the right
question.  But it's a start.

Dan