[lfs-support] LFS 7.3 Screen Flickering problem

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Nov 22 07:47:50 PST 2013

On 11/22/2013 09:17 AM, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After completing a successful build of LFS, I restart to get into the
> system for the first time and my screen turns black and then comes
> back on for about 1 second.
>
> I have a NVidia Vanta LT card in my PC. I am using the Nouveau drivers
> for the framebuffer, as I plan to install X. I have Nouveau configured
> as well in the kernel.
>
> I can tell that the system booted successfully, but I have already
> tried various options in kernel configuration (such as Generic VESA).
> I would also like to keep my bootlogo, but I am willing to remove it
> if necessary.
>
> The system appears to have issues detecting the card because of the
> resolution (it stays at about 640x480). I have booted several LiveCDs
> (Ubuntu and System Rescue CD) successfully without this problem.
>
> Host: System Rescue CD (added bison to image)
> NOTE: this system is i686
> Compaq Presario 5230us if that helps.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Douglas Reno

If you haven't done it yet, I highly recommend examining the output of
'dmesg.' I find it a really useful diagnostic and troubleshooting tool
for things like this.  Through it I identified and resolved, with the
help of this list, a problem with my wireless driver, and I'm currently
working on finetuning my graphics drivers.  It's a great help.

Dan