[lfs-support] No wireless connection to network

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Nov 22 05:38:29 PST 2013

On 11/22/2013 06:27 AM, hans kaper wrote:
> Op Mon, 18 Nov 2013 06:35:07 +0100 schreef Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>:
>
>> hans kaper wrote:
>>> Compared with the discussion about efi-booting, which I follow with interest and admiration, I am still in the stone-age. I installed LFS 7.4 on an old laptop. It boots fine, but I cannot connect wireless to my network.
>>> Wired is no problem (although I cannot find the eth0-device anywhere; how does this work?).
>>>
>>> The laptop uses a Cisco-Linksys wireless usb-adapter. Running udevadm monitor and inserting the adapter gives device-information that I put in a rule into 70-persistent-netrules with the name wlan0:
>>>
>>> SUBSYSTEM="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="13b1", ATTR{manufacturer}="Cisco-Linksys" , ATTR{idProduct}=="0020", NAME="wlan0"
>>>
>>> I added ifconfig.wlan0 to /etc/sysconfig:
>>>
>>> ONBOOT=yes
>>> IFACE=wlan0
>>> SERVICE=ipv4-static
>>> IP=192.168.178.26
>>> GATEWAY=192.168.178.0
>>> PREFIX=24
>> The GATEWAY shouldn't have this address with this netmask.  The .0 is
>> the network address and it will probably confuse the routing table.
> You are right, a typo.
>
> I am now looking into the kernel, comparing the Mint-kernel with lfs, whether I miss something there.
>
> And installing wpa-supplicant of course, but that only makes sense when the device is found and ready.
>
> Hans.
Hans, what is in 'dmesg' about your network cards? From that you can
tell whether you have a kernel, driver or set-up problem. Since it's usb
and if your kernel is modular, it is important that the usb modules load
in the right order. The book covers this in the kernel chapter.

Dan