[lfs-support] LFS7.4 - Wifi or Eth ?

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Nov 22 05:34:46 PST 2013

On 11/22/2013 03:55 AM, Vasco Almeida wrote:
> It is not very practical for me to stretch a 8-meter cable from the pc
> to the router. So I am wondering if LFS7.4 allows a beginner to jump
> straight into wifi configuration in order to have networking available
> when coming round to booting from the LFS partition.
>
> Thanks for your input. Best regards.
>
> Vasco
I am in similar situation except that my cable would have to be closer
to 10 m. :)

The LFS book does not specifically address wireless configuration. If
you have a non-secure router; i.e. no password required, then the
configuration is as simple as that described in Ch. 7 for a wired
network. Instead of, or in addition to, ifconfig.eth0 you would create
ifconfig.wlan0--or whatever deivice name you give your wireless adapter.
All else is the same. The LFS bootscripts would bring up your wireless
adapter too.

If your router is secure and you don't want to use static routing, you
need to install some things from BLFS. DHCP, for its client, or dhcpcd
and wpa_supplicant. These packages also have dependencies that need to
be installed. Additionally, there are some bootscripts from BLFS that
are required.

This is the first build I have done and used wpa_supplicant and, for me,
dhcpcd. The combination worked, using the configuration supplied by the
packages and the BLFS book, right out of the box.

Good luck.

Dan