[lfs-support] No wireless connection to network

hans kaper spakyelj at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 17 13:33:47 PST 2013

Compared with the discussion about efi-booting, which I follow with interest and admiration, I am still in the stone-age. I installed LFS 7.4 on an old laptop. It boots fine, but I cannot connect wireless to my network.
Wired is no problem (although I cannot find the eth0-device anywhere; how does this work?).

The laptop uses a Cisco-Linksys wireless usb-adapter. Running udevadm monitor and inserting the adapter gives device-information that I put in a rule into 70-persistent-netrules with the name wlan0:

SUBSYSTEM="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTR{idVendor}=="13b1", ATTR{manufacturer}="Cisco-Linksys" , ATTR{idProduct}=="0020", NAME="wlan0"

I added ifconfig.wlan0 to /etc/sysconfig:

ONBOOT=yes
IFACE=wlan0
SERVICE=ipv4-static
IP=192.168.178.26
GATEWAY=192.168.178.0
PREFIX=24
BROADCAST=192.168.178.255
WIRELESS_DEV=wlan0
#SERVICE=dhcpcd

In the kernel I have a line "CONFIG_WIRELESS=y" (but CONFIG_IPWIRELESS is not set !?). But on booting I get the errors:
- cannot find device wlan0
- interface wlan0 does not exist.

Puppy Linux and Mint-13 on the same laptop have no problem finding wireless my Fritz!Box-modem.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Hans.