[lfs-support] Help with Installing to UEFI Motherboard

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Nov 16 17:17:24 PST 2013

On 11/16/2013 06:51 PM, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 7:36 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:
>
>> I think efivarfs is new in 3.10.10  "CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=(y or m)" is what
>> I recommend if you're using 3.10.10
> The information I've gotten so far about setting these CONFIG variables,
> from Arch Linux, rodsbooks.com and other places, is summarized here,
> from my incomplete notes from the last several weeks:

> # For UEFI booting, according to ArchLinux you also need to ensure that
> the following
> # https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
> # kernel configuration options are set:
> ##########################
> CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
> CONFIG_EFI=y
> CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
>
> CONFIG_EFI=y
> CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
> CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
> CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
>
> # UEFI Runtime Variables Support (efivarfs filesystem -
> /sys/firmware/efi/efivars). This option is important as this is required
> to manipulate UEFI Runtime Variables using tools like
> /usr/bin/efibootmgr. The below config option has been added in kernel
> 3.10 and above.
>
> CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=y
>
> # UEFI Runtime Variables Support (old efivars sysfs interface -
> /sys/firmware/efi/vars). This option should be disabled.
>
> CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n
>
> # GUID Partition Table GPT config option - mandatory for UEFI support
>
> CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
>
> # Note: All of the above options are required to boot Linux via UEFI,
> and are enabled in Archlinux kernels in official repos.
> ##########################
> #
> # ALSO need to set this:
> ##########################
> CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL=y
> CONFIG_CMDLINE=""
> ##########################
> # See
> # and in make menuconfig set these with Processor Type and Features ->
> Built-in kernel command line
> #
> # Also, in installing Cups-1.6.3 the BLFS book states:
> #
> # Kernel Configuration
> # Note
> #
> # There is a conflict between the Cups libusb backend and the usblp
> kernel driver. If you want to use Cups with libusb, do not enable USB
> Printer support in your kernel.
> #
> # If you want to use the kernel usblp driver, enable the following
> options in your kernel configuration and recompile the kernel:
> #
>
> # If you want to use the kernel usblp driver, enable the following
> options in your kernel configuration and recompile the kernel:
> #
> # Device Drivers  --->
> #   [*] USB support  --->
> #  ......
> [...]
Alan, thank you for validating my research. Let me validate yours. Those
recommendations work.

Did you see the questions I asked you earlier? I hope you will answer
them. They are important to my research.

I'm so close to success, I can smell it. Hopefully it won't be long and
I can post everything here. It will be quite long.

Dan