[lfs-support] Help with Installing to UEFI Motherboard

Alan Feuerbacher alanf00 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 16 16:51:03 PST 2013

On 11/16/2013 7:36 PM, Dan McGhee wrote:

> I think efivarfs is new in 3.10.10  "CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=(y or m)" is what
> I recommend if you're using 3.10.10

The information I've gotten so far about setting these CONFIG variables,
from Arch Linux, rodsbooks.com and other places, is summarized here,
from my incomplete notes from the last several weeks:

# For UEFI booting, according to ArchLinux you also need to ensure that
the following
# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface
# kernel configuration options are set:
##########################
CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y

CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y

# UEFI Runtime Variables Support (efivarfs filesystem -
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars). This option is important as this is required
to manipulate UEFI Runtime Variables using tools like
/usr/bin/efibootmgr. The below config option has been added in kernel
3.10 and above.

CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=y

# UEFI Runtime Variables Support (old efivars sysfs interface -
/sys/firmware/efi/vars). This option should be disabled.

CONFIG_EFI_VARS=n

# GUID Partition Table GPT config option - mandatory for UEFI support

CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y

# Note: All of the above options are required to boot Linux via UEFI,
and are enabled in Archlinux kernels in official repos.
##########################
#
# ALSO need to set this:
##########################
CONFIG_CMDLINE_BOOL=y
CONFIG_CMDLINE=""
##########################
# See
# and in make menuconfig set these with Processor Type and Features ->
Built-in kernel command line
#
# Also, in installing Cups-1.6.3 the BLFS book states:
#
# Kernel Configuration
# Note
#
# There is a conflict between the Cups libusb backend and the usblp
kernel driver. If you want to use Cups with libusb, do not enable USB
Printer support in your kernel.
#
# If you want to use the kernel usblp driver, enable the following
options in your kernel configuration and recompile the kernel:
#

# If you want to use the kernel usblp driver, enable the following
options in your kernel configuration and recompile the kernel:
#
# Device Drivers  --->
#   [*] USB support  --->
#  ......
# In make menuconfig, get rid of the * in "USB support"

Since I have not yet been successful in booting Linux 3.10.10 with UEFI,
I can't comment on the above. For what it's worth.

Alan