[lfs-support] Help with Installing to UEFI Motherboard

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sat Nov 16 15:10:36 PST 2013

On 11/16/2013 03:40 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 02:04:31PM -0500, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After getting the stock LFS system installed, with an MBR type boot
>> installation, I'm experimenting with installing to a UEFI type boot
>> location on a brand new hard drive. I've been reading a lot of online
>> documentation, and have tried a first-cut installation, but am not
>> having success in installing. While I can install the entire set of LFS
>> programs, and a lot of BLFS programs, when I try to boot up, Linux fires
>> up but quickly generates a fatal error.
>>
>> Is there any possibility of advice from the LFS staff?
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org/
>
>   See the posts from Dan McGhee - most recently on 13th November, but
> starting on 28th October.  Four threads, titles mentioning GRUB
> or EFI.  At the moment they are all on the first page at that link,
> at least in firefox.
>
>   Our best advice / guesses is in those threads.  Dan hasn't cracked
> it yet, but your hardware might be different.
>
> ĸen
I thought I was going to be able to report success this afternoon, but
as yet "no joy."  My efforts so far have resulted in the following
conclusions:

1.  There is something wrong in my grub set-up.
2.  My kernel is not bootable.
3.  I have missed something in the EFI info.

At this point, all I want is some indication that my kernel is booting.
As long as I get only one message from the kernel and the system freezes
I can conclude that all else is fine except my kernel.

I'm writing this e-mail "on the fly" and don't have my EFI sources at
hand.  I read last night that from the EFI partition the bootloader--in
this case GRUB--doesn't know where the file system is even though it can
read the partition table.  Therefore, and initramfs is called for.  I
know nothing about these.  I've read what the BLFS book has and have
tried it with no success.  At this point, I don't know enough to solve
any "gotcha's" that the initramfs hint gives.  Gonna try dracut.

If I can't make any head-way in the next few days, I'm going to install
a minimal ArchLinux system and try the various GRUB options.  I don't
think they sign their kernels--see last paragraph--and that will test
the GRUB stuff.

I cannot verify this in any documentation.  It's just a hunch I have.
When it comes to booting using an EFI partition, we must ignore
everything we've learned about booting and using GRUB.  It may be that
using GRUB in a multiboot environment we cannot use the "linux
/boot/vmliz* root=/dev/xxx ro" to get to another distro.  We may have to
use grub's chainloader to do that.  I say this because, I have not been
able to get Ubuntu to boot from my LFS-7.4 system in the "old" way.  I
was successful using the chainloader.  If all this is true, then the
"easiest" way to accomplish this is to use 'efibootmgr' or 'gummiboot'
and boot everything thing we have from the EFI partition.

My goal is to be able to be able to answer these questions when my
testing is over.

@Alan
Did you remove GRUB from your MBR Protected Layer or are you still using
it?  Do you use an initrd or initramfs?  Did you boot your kernel
successfully before you started these EFI experiments?  Does your
failure message come from the kernel or from the LFS bootscripts?  What
does it say?  Must you do a "hard" reset to start over or can you use
ALT-CTRL-DEL?

There is only one other option that's keeping me from booting in this
environment.  It's so distasteful that I don't even want to write it.
But, at least in my firmware, it may be necessary for me to "sign" my
kernel.  That's not even for "secure" boot.  I hope that's not true.

Dan