[lfs-support] Step 5.4.1 Installation of Cross Binutils errors

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 15 15:46:28 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 01:20:06PM +0000, Vasco Almeida wrote:
> OK, I did as instructed in your recommendations above, and tried to
> be as extra careful as ignorance allows. So I am attaching the four
> logs collected during the 5.4.1 step, for your kind inspection. But
> when I invoked "make install", I got a raft of
>
> "This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
> See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
> This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
> See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
> This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
> See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
> This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
> See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
> This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
> See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments"
>
> which are perhaps not that surprising.

 They are certainly surprising to _me_, and I don't see them in any
of the gzipped logs you attached.  Now that we've pointed out the
'Error' that you could not see, please do not attach gzipped logs
unless it is essential - a plain text log is readable in many sane
mail clients (well, in mutt anyway :) but a .gz has to be extracted
before it can be read.

 Did you type (only, exactly) the commands in the book, and in fresh
source and build directories ?

 Please try again, with fresh source and build directories, and
capturing stderr (the 2>&1 stuff) at the places it happens.

 Those error messages are plain weird for an LFS build.

ken (rather than ?en), but ĸen for everyone else - the fonts in
console-tools (used by debian distros) are somewhat deficient.