[lfs-support] Step 5.4.1 Installation of Cross Binutils errors

Vasco Almeida vmsda at netcabo.pt
Fri Nov 15 05:20:06 PST 2013

On 11/14/2013 04:37 PM, Walter P. Little wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
> <mailto:zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:37:57AM +0000, Vasco Almeida wrote:
>
>     > 1. On my Ubuntu I should install at least/bison, gawk, g++, m4/
>      and/makeinfo/  (via apt-get install/packa//ge-name/, assuming
>     these are indeed the names).
>      Yes.
>

> m4 is a dependency of bison and will be installed automatically when
> you install bison, so no need to install it separately.
> There is no "makeinfo" package. It is included in the "texinfo" package.
>

>      For gawk, you might also need to change the 'awk' symlink to point to
>     gawk instead of mawk.
>

> This happens automatically when you install the gawk package.
>
>     > 2. Possibly, I should also install/build-essential/.
>      Definitely install this, I think it might pull in some of the
>     others listed above.
>
> build-essential pulls in g++.  It also pulls in the libc6-dev package,
> which can cause issues later if you don't have it.  As such,
> installing g++ separately is unnecessary.
>
>     ?en

OK, I did as instructed in your recommendations above, and tried to be
as extra careful as ignorance allows. So I am attaching the four logs
collected during the 5.4.1 step, for your kind inspection. But when I
invoked "make install", I got a raft of

"This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments
This is not dpkg install-info anymore, but GNU install-info
See the man page for ginstall-info for command line arguments"

which are perhaps not that surprising. Finally, some displays just to
check content:
/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls
Makefile  binutilsconfig.log       config.log      gas     ld serdep.tmp
bfd      binutilsmake.log       config.status  gprof  libiberty
binutils  binutilsmakeinstall.log  etc          intl     opcodes

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools
bin  lib  lib64  share    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools/bin
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-addr2line    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-nm
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ar        x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-objcopy
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-as        x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-objdump
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-c++filt    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-elfedit    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-readelf
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-gprof    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-size
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ld        x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-strings
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ld.bfd    x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-strip

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools/lib
libiberty.a

/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build$ ls $LFS/tools/lib64
libiberty.a

OK to go on? Thanks again. Best regards

Vasco