[lfs-support] Step 5.4.1 Installation of Cross Binutils errors

Walter P. Little walterplittle at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 08:37:06 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:37:57AM +0000, Vasco Almeida wrote:
>
> > 1. On my Ubuntu I should install at least/bison, gawk, g++, m4/
>  and/makeinfo/  (via apt-get install/packa//ge-name/, assuming these are
> indeed the names).
>  Yes.

m4 is a dependency of bison and will be installed automatically when you
install bison, so no need to install it separately.
There is no "makeinfo" package. It is included in the "texinfo" package.

>  For gawk, you might also need to change the 'awk' symlink to point to
> gawk instead of mawk.

This happens automatically when you install the gawk package.

> > 2. Possibly, I should also install/build-essential/.
>  Definitely install this, I think it might pull in some of the
> others listed above.

build-essential pulls in g++.  It also pulls in the libc6-dev package,
which can cause issues later if you don't have it.  As such, installing g++
separately is unnecessary.