[lfs-support] Step 5.4.1 Installation of Cross Binutils errors

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 16:57:30 PST 2013

On 11/12/2013 07:33 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31:56PM +0000, Vasco Almeida wrote:
>> "
>>
>> Where do I go from here?
>>

>   Find the part of the output with the actual 'Error' message (it might
> say 'error').  It looks as if the real error was before that warning
> about makeinfo.  I haven't seen the post where 'make -k' was
> recommended (I expect it is taking a slow route to reach me), but in
> general you do NOT want to do that in LFS, except when running test
> suites.
>
>   Since you have barely started, please also check the Host System
> Requirements in section Vii of the Preface.
>
>   Actually, check the Host System Requirements _first_, then (if
> your host meets _all_ of them : newer versions *probably* work for
> binutils and gcc), repeat your attempt to compile this, after
> removing the existing binutils-2.32.2 (I'm assuming you are trying
> to build LFS-7.4) and binutils-build directories.
>
>   But this time, capture the output in a log, for example
>
> ../path/to/binutils-source/./configure ... | tee myconflog 2>&1
>
>   and then
>
> make | tee mybuildlog 2>&1
>
>   so that the error messages on stderr ('2') get mixed in.  Then look
> at the build log in 'view|vim' or 'less' and search for Error [
> '/Error' ].
>
> ĸen

If you are using bash 4.0 or greater

../path/to/binutils-source/./configure ... | tee myconflog 2>&1

becomes

../path/to/binutils-source/./configure ... |& tee myconflog

and

make | tee mybuildlog 2>&1

becomes

make |& tee mybuildlog 2>&1

 From the bash manual

3.2.2 Pipelines

A pipeline is a sequence of simple commands separated by one of the control operators ‘|’ or ‘|&’.

The format for a pipeline is

[time [-p]] [!] command1 [ [| or |&] command2 …]
The output of each command in the pipeline is connected via a pipe to the input of the next command. That is, each command reads the previous command’s output. This connection is performed before any redirections specified by the command.

If ‘|&’ is used, the standard error of command1 is connected to command2’s standard input through the pipe; it is shorthand for 2>&1 |. This implicit redirection of the standard error is performed after any redirections specified by the command.