[lfs-support] Step 5.4.1 Installation of Cross Binutils errors

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 12 16:33:24 PST 2013

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 11:31:56PM +0000, Vasco Almeida wrote:
> "
>
> Where do I go from here?

 Find the part of the output with the actual 'Error' message (it might
say 'error').  It looks as if the real error was before that warning
about makeinfo.  I haven't seen the post where 'make -k' was
recommended (I expect it is taking a slow route to reach me), but in
general you do NOT want to do that in LFS, except when running test
suites.

 Since you have barely started, please also check the Host System
Requirements in section Vii of the Preface.

 Actually, check the Host System Requirements _first_, then (if
your host meets _all_ of them : newer versions *probably* work for
binutils and gcc), repeat your attempt to compile this, after
removing the existing binutils-2.32.2 (I'm assuming you are trying
to build LFS-7.4) and binutils-build directories.

 But this time, capture the output in a log, for example

../path/to/binutils-source/./configure ... | tee myconflog 2>&1

 and then

make | tee mybuildlog 2>&1

 so that the error messages on stderr ('2') get mixed in.  Then look
at the build log in 'view|vim' or 'less' and search for Error [
'/Error' ].

ĸen