[lfs-support] More GRUB--Progress by Failure--Now Questions

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Sun Nov 10 07:22:46 PST 2013

I pooled Bruce's and Ken's comments from the last few days with my
observations and goals.  I now get GRUB2 to load in EFI.  That's a good
thing.  I must do it manually by interrupting the boot process and
selecting grubx64.efi.  I want the Boot Manager to default to this, but
that's the project after I can boot LFS-7.4, Ubuntu and Windows 8 from
my grub screen.  I cannot boot either LFS-7.4 or Ubuntu from my
grubx64.efi.

Thinking of what Ken said about my LFS kernel not being bootable, I
added a menuentry for Ubuntu whose kernel I know boots.  The same thing
happens when I try to boot LFS or Ubuntu--the screen goes blank and I
get a white, non-flashing dash in the upper left hand corner of my
screen.  I now have a situation I that can be solved "practically"
rather than experimenting with theory--a good change. I think my
grub.cfg needs massaging.  Here is that file in all of its radiant beauty:

> set gfxmode=auto
> insmod all_video
> insmod gfxterm
> set lang=en_US
>
> set timeout=10
>
> menuentry 'LFS-7.4' {
> insmod part_gpt
> insmod ext2
> set root=(hd0,gpt6)
> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.10-lfs-7.4 root=/dev/sda6 ro
> }
>
> menuentry 'Ubuntu' {
> insmod part_gpt
> insmod ext2
> set root=(hd0,gpt10)
>  linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-33-generic root=/dev/sda10 ro
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-33-generic
> }
>
> menuentry "Windows 8" {
> set root=D60C-39DF
> chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
> }

Before I quit last night, I had only the menuentry for LFS in the file
and when I tried to boot, I got the message "No suitable video mode
found."  This morning I read, and copied and plagiarized and came up
with the entries at the top of the file.  I don't know if I have good
ones, or enough or the right ones.  What I do know is that in addition
to the inability to boot LFS7.4, I cannot boot Ubuntu--which I know
boots--using this grub.cfg.  (BTW, I did not test Windows from this file.)

As a highlight (?) to this post let me add something.  As I was writing
this and looked at the entry for Windows 8, I thought that I could get
Ubuntu to boot, by directing grub to Ubuntu's *x64.efi file.  If that's
true, then I would be using GRUB as a Boot Manager in EFI and not a
bootloader--although each grub.cfg would have that's distro's root,
kernel and image files.  This bears further research.

But for right now, I'd like to get both LFS and Ubuntu to boot from this
grub.cfg using "linux" and "initrd" lines--like in the "old" :) days.

Hopefully, I can get a good analysis and fix from the folks here on this
list.  I could do the "video stuff" before grub evolved to the state it
is today.  Now, I'm in the dark--and not because it's night.  :)

Thanks,
Dan