[lfs-support] Configuring GRUB2--Request for a Logic Check

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 9 13:59:55 PST 2013

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 02:13:02PM -0600, Dan McGhee wrote:
>   For one thing it resolved my paranoia about where grub would write.

 I would describe that as "sensible caution", not paranoia.  I've
irretrievably bricked one machine, and I don't wish that on anyone.
In my case (the notorious AmigaOne - I overheated mine one time too
many, but it took me a long while to realise what had been
happening) and I had learned enough about the hardware to make me
give up, and it wasn't _that_ expensive, unlike apple products.

> Yes, the different distro sites seem to be rather silent on this stuff.
> And you found something that I was hesitant to mention. This stuff does
> depend a lot on vendors.  Many have written their own Boot Managers and
> I've found many comments and articles on how "buggy and unreliable" many
> are.  As of a year ago, HP was one of those that had lots of
> complaints.  That may be something else I need to research.  rEFInd and
> gummiboot, look out I may be headed your way.

 Ah, I didn't realise it was the hardware vendors.  Thanks for
clarifying.

> As I've said, I'd like to accomplish two things: 1) get LFS-7.4 to boot
> in a UEFI environment, and 2) do it in a way that will be useful to LFS.
>
> Thank you very much, Ken, for your efforts.
>
> Dan

 Thank you.  I hope it turns out well, and look forward to reading
more.

ĸen