[lfs-support] 8.3 - Kernel Build

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 6 06:14:53 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 01:47:42PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  I have a very vague recollection that one or two packages (probably
> not in BLFS) used to pick up kernel details by looking at
> /usr/src/linux , if it existed, in the very distant past.  ISTR they
> actually wanted to know the capabilities of the _running_ kernel.

 To clarify: consider the situation where you suspect you have a
kernel bug.  Say you are now on 3.12.0 and had previously used
3.11.5.  As a first step, boot 3.11.5 [ assuming you kept it around,
of course ] to see if things are different.  Any application looking
at /usr/src/linux has no guarantees that the source (or indeed the
.config there) matches what is running.

ĸen